Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Day in the Life


For one day in November, Billy and I had a chance to participate in an amazing art project made possible by our dear friend Becca. It all started a couple of months ago, when I was looking at our wedding pictures and the thought occurred to me that the photos most of us have in our albums are taken on extraordinary occasions that represent a departure from what life is normally like on a daily basis. There are pictures of weddings, vacations, Christmases, graduations - important days that happen just once. Most of our life, meanwhile, happens between those times, monotonous and undocumented. Yet it's those repetitive days full of repetitive activities that constitute most of our lives, and those things often go undocumented. In five years, will I remember the shape of the leaves on the sidewalk on my way to the bus? Will I be able to picture our first apartment, the look of my bathroom mirror as I brushed my teeth every morning, the slant of afternoon light through the kitchen window?

Some time later, I was talking with Becca, who is an amazingly talented artist and the owner of a small business called Liminality Photography. She was telling me about a wedding she had shot, and I shared my recent thoughts with her - how it's a great thing to have a record of the grand days, but I'm sad that we don't capture the mundane ones. That conversation was how the idea of a Day in the Life photo shoot was born. For one day in November, Becca followed us around for an entire day - waking up, walking around our neighborhood, going to work, having late night drinks with friends. It is a record of not just one day, but a unique season of life turned into art. We're so grateful to Becca for creating this, and our hope all along was that these photos would inspire others to document the precious details of our daily lives.





































All photographs copyright of Liminality LLC

6 comments:

  1. Great post. Great idea. Great images.... Well done all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for a day in the life with Billy and Marta!! Thank you two for being willing to invite me into your lives for a day, and to document the ordinary beauty of your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! makes me miss daily life with marta gillner :) you guys look really happy! great to see the 'mundane moments' of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya'll sit down for breakfast!?! I now will make it my goal integrate a sit-down breakfast with a nice tea set and assorted breads. And this is, indeed, a beautiful album...

    ReplyDelete